posted on February 17, 2012 16:13
Ted Abernathy, Chamber Executive magazine, Summer 2011
Article discusses the importance of local governments and organizations in an area working together to achieve a specific, narrowly defined common goal guided by an agreed-upon plan. The greatest benefit of such collaborations is regional economic growth.
Five methods for improving collaboration are described:
Choose Your Region
- Understand everyone's motivation - people collaborate when it is in their interest to do so.
- Build the team - teams take time to evolve and build trust. Trust is necessary for effective action.
- Effective leadership - the glue that binds partners together in a collaboration.
- Narrowly define the groups charge - narrow focus improve opportunity for successful collaboration, broad agenda creates opportunities for division.
- Build collaborative capacity - partners, staff and volunteers are all required to ensure the resources are available to make action possible.
Click here to view article, right click to download (save link as).